Sunday, July 24, 2011

Programming for fun vs for a career

Whenever I tell people that I'm a programmer, they tend to automatically assume that I do it for a career and that I'm some kind of supreme computer overlord.

Untrue.

I like to program for fun, and I know my way around a computer, but I couldn't tear the software apart and piece it back together with my eyes closed either, though.



I know that my career will be based around computers, IT most likely, but I know it won't be as a full time programmer/developer.


Freelancing, on the other hand, is a good way to get a little bit of money, but shouldn't be your main way of getting money, unless you intend to get a team together eventually and start a small business.

Programming can be fun, especially when you make small programs (like I have) that are for the hell of it, or to help you in every day situations (things like mini note pads, event calendars, contact database, ect.).

So, if your going to program for fun, there is nothing wrong with that, keep at it, and if you feel like making it a career, go for it!

4 comments:

  1. Good advice, m'man, that once again can apply to just about any facet of life.

    GRRRRRR it appears that my life is once again surging towards music and music production, but I still have high hopes of getting back into the programming...

    Someday. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've wanted to be a computer programmer, and even started learning some java. But my teacher was so shitty that I lost interest. Been thinking about picking it back up again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I considered it as a career early in college, then I realized 50 years doing that for a living is absurd.

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice read, always been a fan of programming but i could never really wrap my head around it. Good luck to making a career in the IT business

    ReplyDelete